Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Work
Things have been going smoothly
on the job, although I expect crazy to creep in during the next few weeks as papers start coming in. Students here are very different from University of California students. I have a quite a few older students, some veterans, and a good number who work part or full time, and they have perspectives that are refreshingly different from 18-year-olds from the bay area. On the other hand, a lot of students are considerably less prepared than the ones I was used to teaching at UC Davis. And they miss a lot of class. I have two sections of Comp II, which is the equivalent of English 3 and a required class, and sometimes it's like trying to teach ENL 3 to Workload students. My American Lit II class (1865-present) is completely different: all English majors, most of whom plan to get graduate degrees.
Here are some photos of my professorial abode. As a graduate student, I dreamed of an office with a Victorian fainting couch and a vintage dollhouse. That's pretty much out of the question now -- I just don't have space, even after the removal of an extra desk and a surplus filing cabinet. I heard that my office used to be adjunct central, so that makes sense. Once I hang curtains and finish moving around the furniture, the office should look a bit better. But for now, at least it's mine: I no longer have to share a computer and a room with three other people, and I have my own phone and printer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
Hammer of the Gods! + Bond + Pie = Fun.
ReplyDeletexo