This morning I learned from a student that I made the front page of the local paper, the Tahlequah Daily Press, yesterday. That was the good news. The bad news is that the paper ran a large color photo of me with my eyes closed. The dubious news is that the article covered the Civil War Ladies Camp of Instruction at the Murrell Home, which is a daylong training session for women interested in historical reenactment.
So now it is official for anyone still undecided about the issue: I am a Geek. In my defense, I will say that I am teaching a Civil War class right now and I tried to get some students to come with me. The fact that the class began at 8 am on a Saturday morning likely was a deterrent. Also, I have about zero interest in battle reenactments -- I just think I might like to dress in period costume and hang out at the Murrell Home once in a while. And I learned a lot about 1860s undergarments. Did you know that women wore crotchless drawers?
The writer quoted me without asking permission or explaining that she was covering the event for the paper -- I thought she attended out of personal interest. But the Tahlequah Daily Press does not appear to have high journalistic standards. If you really want to have a look, the story, which is quite long, is available online.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment