
We had perfect weather for an action-packed weekend. Saturday we spent the day in Tulsa, which is about an hour and 15 minutes away. Intellectually I realize that Tulsa isn't that far away, but when you're used to riding your bike everywhere it might as well be on Mars. Or maybe I'm just getting old. But when I moved to Davis I thought I would go to San Francisco all the time, and I rarely did. Perhaps the inevitable traffic and parking issues were factors. Anyway, we kicked off the festivities Friday afternoon when we took our neighbor's dog B for a walk. Here are me and B post-walkies on our front porch. (Yes, the dog's name is the letter B. Her collar has a name tag reading "My name is B.")
On Saturday, our first stop in Tulsa was the Greek Festiv

al at the Holy Trinity Orthodox Church. The event attracted a diverse crowd: families, hipsters, nuns, and people there for the food. Eric and I enjoyed chicken kabobs, Greek salad, roasted potatoes, and pastries. Yum! I loved the Greek folk dancing. I really wanted to put on a costume and join in. In the pastry tent we found some imported couscous made by a company called Melissa (which means
honeybee in Greek). We then headed over to the Tulsa Zoo, where we saw a baby diana monkey literally bounce off the walls in the primate house and an African lion calling her cubs


with a sort of whuffing roar. Also got to see a male giraffe make a special guest appearance. We finished out the day with a meal with the Tulsa Dinner Club, which was part of my campaign to meet people like us and make some friends. The club met at a sushi restaurant in Owasso. I enjoyed my dinner, although the sushi had a distinctly more Midwestern bent than I'm used to (e.g. mayo and cream cheese, no brown rice). Our fellow diners were a motley and somewhat odd collection of people, but it was an enjoyable evening nonetheless.
Such varied cultural happenings in OK! Thanks for sharing about all of the adventures you two are having--I love seeing all of the pictures.
ReplyDelete