My lower-division students are reading The Importance of Being Earnest, and I have resorted to giving reading quizzes because so many students just aren't following along. The quizzes have helped, but I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the misspellings on them. According to one student, Jack Worthing proposes marriage to Grenadine. Does he have a tequila sunrise while he's at it? Other memorable ones: Dr. Chasuble identified as "Chaunsbor" and "Chaeau" and Algernon's name spelled "Allergon." Isn't that a prescription medication for seasonal allergies?
I have some Beavis-and-Butthead types in my afternoon section -- thanks to them, I need to add a "no chewing tobacco" policy to my syllabus -- who cheekily asked today, when we were discussing the tableau at the end of the play, if tableau is a verb. (You might have to mispronounce it with a Southern accent to appreciate this.)
But there are only three weeks of classes left, which makes me feel the way this picture at Lake Tenkiller looks. Whee! My first semester was hardly bad, but it did seem like an awful long time after seven years with the ten-week quarter system. Even better, winter break will last a month instead of ten days.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment