Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Atlanta

Returned late Sunday night from Atlanta, where I attended the National Women's Studies Association conference and presented on an Octavia Butler panel with Karma. It was my first time at NWSA, and it made me think of MLA -- tons of people, panels on every subject imaginable, and not much of a sense of unity. According to the professor with whom I took Intro to Women's Studies in spring 1996, and whom I got to see for the first time since then, literature is pretty marginalized at NWSA. Nevertheless, our panel was a great success, and I worked out with Angela Davis at the Sheraton's fitness center one morning. The best part, of course, was hanging out with Karma. We enjoyed some tasty food, went to the Margaret Mitchell Home and the World of Coca-Cola, and attended a Second City show called "Peach Drop, Stop, and Roll" that poked fun at local politics and culture. I think Davis needs a show like this.

Strut and the monkey plan their escape
I get some lovin' from the polar bear
at the World of Coca-Cola

The Margaret Mitchell home -- exterior and painting of Scarlett O'Hara from the Gone with the Wind exhibit with Karma in the background.
This painting was created for and used in the film; it was in Rhett Butler's bedroom. Until recently, it hung in the Margaret Mitchell Elementary School in Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment