There are even jizz trees (jizzus stinkus) in Norman! And the shower curtains have team spirit!
I took four students with me, so it was kind of like being at work all weekend, but OU really went all out for the event. It
While attending a meeting with some film people at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's house, Alexie noticed that all the furniture was sized for the baskeball star. Sitting on the sofa with his feet dangling like a little kid's, he decided he had to check out the toilet to see if it was similarly proportioned. Sure enough, Alexie's feet dangled from the toilet too. He had to tell someone about it, so he called his dad on the rez from the bathroom.
Sherman Alexie, Jr.: Dad, I'm at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's house!
Sherman Alexie, Sr.: Does he know you're there?
On Thursday night Alexie received an award prior to a screening of The Business of Fancydancing, and during the pre-festivities schmoozefest he observed that one of my students had "criminal sideburns." I think this came up when one of Alexie's kids wanted an ice cream sandwich from a locked freezer case, and he suggested that my student looked like the kind of person to break it open. Not sure how sideburns fit into this, but whatever. The next day there was a book signing, and dude made a reference to the criminal sideburns on my student's book:
Some of the conference small talk with my group was interesting. The undergrads were a little shy and it was a loooong car ride, but one of them had lots of questions for me. I tried to get them to call me by my first name and it didn't work (although the student with whom I shared a suite called me "Rooms" a few times). At the institution where I teach, faculty with Ph.D.s are all "Dr. So-and-So" and the other instructors are all "Mr." and "Mrs." with a few "Miss"-es thrown in for good measure. So I got "Dr. Strong" the whole time, even while playing Scrabble Slap. Oddly enough, almost all of my lower-division students call me "Mrs. Strong" even though the syllabus indicates that I have a Ph.D. I thought it wasn't worth trying to explain to them that Mrs. Strong doesn't exist -- she is my mother, actually, because I'm not married to my father -- but I gave it a shot anyway. I told them that if they really want to call me Mrs. Something, it should be Mrs. McCauley. But isn't Strong easier to say?
Anyway, here were some of the questions I got during the drive to Norman:
- Dr. Strong, why don't you eat at chain restaurants?
- Dr. Strong, why don't you shop at Walmart?
- Dr. Strong, if you were going to make a mix CD, what would you put on it?
- Dr. Strong, if you were going to commit fraud with the department credit card, what would you buy?
- Dr. Strong, do you watch the show "Sixteen and Pregnant"?
.jpg)
What was the answer to #4?
ReplyDelete-Jeanne
Dr. Strong, what would you ask me if you were a student and we were on a road trip?
ReplyDelete