
My first white Christmas in seven years reminded me what I have not been missing. Snow is pretty for about five minutes, then it's a hassle. Eric and I went for a walk down our unplowed street on Christmas morning and some dude in a big truck looked at us like we were from outer space. These days I am wearing two pairs of socks and a sweatshirt to bed. I can deal as long as we don't lose power -- we have heard some horror stories about ice storms causing outages lasting weeks. More snow is predicted for later this week. Luckily we do

n't need to go anywhere. I'm working at home on an article and spring syllabi. My new hobby is circling the spelling, grammar, and syntax errors in the Tulsa World, which makes me long for the journalistic integrity of the Sacramento Bee. A headline yesterday said "Leaders brag on Tulsans' giving" (brag
on, not
about?), while an entertainment article spelled the last name of the lead singer of the band Cake "McRae" (it's McCrea) and a photo caption spelled the word "exploded" with an A. Today's offense was botching the possessive of "children." My e-mail to one of the editors has not yet been answered.
No comments:
Post a Comment