Monday, December 7, 2009

Haiku for the last week of class

One of my students reports that a new film adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale is in the works, starring Natalie Portman as Offred. Can this be true? I have found no reports confirming it, and I have heard nothing about it from Atwood scholar extraordinaire Dr. Karma. And Natalie Portman...? Wasn't one bad movie version enough? I am miffed enough by her latest film, Brothers, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire. This is an adaptation of an excellent 2004 Danish Film by Susanne Bier that is sure to be overwrought, overdone, overly sentimental, and basically farcockteh. (This is my a new favorite word; it's Yiddish, meaning all messed up. Eric and I heard it in the fabulous independent film Arranged and I had to call Bubbe Tulip to ask what it meant.)

Brothers: Phhhhhtt

Brodre: Two thumbs up




And now, a haiku for the last week of class:

So much attrition:
Classes have dwindled in size.
Less work for me, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment