Monday, October 12, 2009

Youse guys

Our quest for New York-style pizza brought us to Broken Arrow, where we met Larry, the owner of Uncle Vinny's Pizzeria. Yankees memorabilia and Frank Sinatra on the jukebox were good signs, but even better was talking to Larry, who is -- like me -- a native of Connecticut. Those outside our small state tend not to know that there is, in fact, a Connecticut-style pizza; it's similar to NY-style with spicier sauce, and it's got to be baked (preferably blistered) in a brick oven. When I lived in New Haven, I went to Modern Apizza on State about once a week. Anyway, Larry was a character. He asked, "What brought youse guys out here?" I haven't heard anyone say youse guys since I left the Northeast. It was a favorite of the football coach (e.g. "What happened to that play? Youse guys suck!") Uncle Vinny's was no Modern A, but it was pretty darn good for Oklahoma, where people seem to like their pizzas doughy and cheesy (the antithesis of NY style). Here is a picture of our pie. Larry gave us a cannoli on the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment